||Name of the Project
||Rejuvenation and genetic improvement of Ongole breed - Pride of A.P. through participatory approach using biotechnological innovations
||LRS, Lam Farm, Guntur
- To identify superior Ongole bulls and cows with high production potential.
- To induct the superior germ psalm so identified into nucleus herd.
- To collect and supply the semen and embryos from elite animals.
||Region specific and farmer centric genetic improvement programme in sheep
Mahabubnagar, Garividi, Palamaner & Siddaramapuram
- To carry out genetic improvement using elite farmers flock as multiplication centers.
- To produce large number of superior ram lambs for distribution among farmers.
- To use progressive farmers flocks as technology demonstration units.
||Establishment of State Level Diagnostic Laboratory
||Microbiology, C.V.Sc, Tirupati and
Ruska Lab, Rnagar, Hyderabad
- Establishment of state level laboratory for diagnosis of different animal diseases to cater the needs of the farmers.
- Creation of Molecular diagnostic facilities for early and accurate disease diagnosis.
- Establishment of seromonitoring center for analysis of vaccination programmes.
||Promotion of backyard Poultry by using RAJASRI variety as livelihood and nutritional security options among BPL families
||AICRP on Poultry Breeding, Rnagar, Hyderabad
- Popularization of backyard poultry as sustainable livelihood enterprise
- Establishment of hatchery cum grower center for ensuring continuous supply of Rajasri grower birds
- To promote input and output market linkages for rural poultry.
||Development of equipment for chilling milk using non-conventional energy sources
||College of Dairy Technology, Tirupati
- To develop a village level milk chilling equipment using non-conventional energy.
- To simplify operation to the extent that semi skilled worker should be able to operate.
- The possibility of retrofitting the existing milk chilling units running on electricity will be examined.
||Technological interventions for improving quality of feed for economical milk and meat production.
||Animal Nutrition,CVSc, Tirupati, R,nagar, Gannavaram and Proddatur
- Application of processing technologies for livestock and poultry feeds.
- To develop quality assurance methods for feedstuffs and finished feeds.
- To workout cost economics of produce.
||Survey on prevalence of important fish diseases and development of best management practices (BMPS) for their control and prevention
||Fisheries Research Station, Kakinada, Palair, Undi & CFSc, Muthukkur
- To survey the important fish culture areas of the state, for recording the prevalence of the diseases associated economical losses.
- To identify the major management practices that are contributing for disease occurrence.
- To identify diseases area wise, season wise, species wise and size wise.
- To evaluate economic impact particular disease and find the etiological agent.
- To evolve a package of best management practices to prevent or control the disease.
||Establishment of Jersey x Sahiwal bull mother farm
- To establish the bull mother farm of proven germ psalm of Jersey x Sahiwal crossbred animals.
- To test the adoptability and productive performance and to supply the proven germ psalm through distribution of young breeding bulls and semen.
- Distribution of excess female stock to the needy people through government agencies
||Establishment of a pig unit for supply of elite germ psalm to the farmers
||AICRP on Pigs, Tirupati
- Procured 43 pigs (38 females and 5 males)
- Bred 6 sows and inducted 129 pigs of AICRP in to RKVY
- So far about 270 quality piglets were supplied to the farmers
- This year piglets shall be supplied to farmers soon after furrowing and weaning of the piglets born.
- Piglets are having an average litter size of 7.3 with an average birth weight of 1.6kg
||Inland aquaculture sustainability - profitability for socioeconomic growth with appropriate location specific alternate native fish species to Indian major carps.
||Fisheries Research Station, Palair,Kakinada, Undi
- To identify the most preferred freshwater fish species.
- To shortlist the new candidate species suitable either for poly culture with carps or for integration with other agri-veterinary activities
- To improve the existing breeding technology of the short listed fish species
- To standardize the package of pond culture practices.
||Cytogenetic and molecular characterization of livestock breeds of A.P
Rajendranagar & Tirupati
A. CYTOGENETICCHARACTERIZATION :
B. MOLECULAR CHARACTERIZATION:
- To karyotype and catalogue various indigenous livestock breeds of Andhra Pradesh
- To Cytogenetically screen all the males and prospective sires used in various breeding programmes
- To study the association between chromosome anomalies and reproductive disorders in the farm animals.
- Molecular genetic characterization of livestock breeds of Andhra Pradesh using various microsatellite markers
- To identify the breed specific molecular markers, if any
- To study the phylogenetic relationships between various livestock breeds of Andhra Pradesh.
||Genetic improvement in buffaloes using open nucleus breeding system in collaboration with progressive buffalo farmers.
||Buffalo Research Station, Venkataramanna gudem
- To Strengthening the existing Buffalo Research Station as a bull mother farm
- Large scale production of semen and embryos from progeny tested bulls.
- Use of Multiple ovulation and embryo transfer technology (MOET) coupled with Open Nucleus Breeding System for production of superior bull mothers & bulls.
||Technology transfer and dissemination initiatives for livestock development through establishment of educational multimedia resource centre (e2mrc)
Hyderabad, Gannavaram, Tirupati and Proddatur
- To produce need based educational programmes (both for farmers and students).
- To disseminate educational programmes through non-broadcast or non-telecast modes.
- To study and promote the effectiveness of multimedia based educational programmes in reducing the knowledge gap among the farmers.
||Development of gas operated cold storages for preservation of animal and fish products.
||College of Dairy Technology, Tirupati and
- To develop a cold store by using natural gas / bio-gas for keeping the meat & fish at temperatures below -18oC with lower operational costs.
- Operation of the above cold store using adsorption refrigeration principle.
- Exploring the possibility of using Activated Charcoal and suitable refrigerant combination.