About Us

The Livestock Research Station, Mahanandi

The Livestock Research Station, Mahanadi was established in 1952-53 by APAH Department in 382.62 acres.Later, entire land and assets were transferred from the APAH Department to APAU during the year 1992 videG.o.MS.No.962 dated 08.07.1992 and Memo No.28414 219-4 dated 21.07.1992 of the Addl. Director (AH).Initially the Livestock Research Station, Mahanadi was under the administrative control of the Principal,agricultural College, Mahanadi from 1992 to 2007. The Livestock Research Station is functioning as one of the Associate herd for the ongoing Research project “Network Project on Genetic improvement through Associate Herd Testing-Data Recording (ICAR-Plan) at cattle project, LRS, Lam farm, Guntur with an objective of Genetic Improvement of Ongole Cattle for its milk production and draught power. Since 2001 good quality of bulls were selected for breeding purpose in the Cattle project at LRS, Lam farm, Guntur. From 2003 onwards this station is supplying bulls to Cattle Project, Lam Farm, Guntur, APLDA and farmers. In addition under RKVY project for development of Ongole cattle breeding bulls were distributed to selected tribal farmers.